Sunday, December 16, 2018

Oh my goodness, It's almost Christmas!!

It has been awhile since I posted, so I am going to play a bit of catch-up.  Much has been happening in the Art Room: Middle School projects have been completed and presented, the school auction has come and gone, Christmas projects are in full swing, and I took a trip to MoMA to see pieces that gave me goosebumps!

First off, the fall projects.  Amazing work by my 6th-8th graders as they explored Art History and Artists through history.  Below are just a few highlights...
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ok, I lied.  Couldn't allow any of these amazing pieces to be left out!  As you can see the students did a little bit of everything  I was excited to see the variety of interpretations of artists (many did Bob Ross, Van Gogh, Jackson Pollock, etc), but no 2 pieces were the same.  Can hardly wait for the Spring project to roll around (heads up: Recycling!)

Next up the auction pieces.  Every year I work with each class to create a special one-of-a-kind art piece for the school auction.  This year we did even more than normal as classroom stools (that were replaced with chairs at the beginning of the year) became classroom stools for the auction. Below are the many creations!



 7th grade lamp (Quite honestly one of my FAVORITE pieces of all time!)






Next up, Christmas projects.  I will only share a few so they remain a secret until being opened.  Really excited with the pieces the students are working on this year.  Some are yearly repeaters, while a couple are totally new to this year and may possibly become the yearly repeater 😉
5th grade Wisemen Mixed Media canvas: Watercolor, salt, sand paint, scrapbook papers, & Mod Podge

2nd grade Romero Britto Angel Nativity Canvas: Pencil, Sharpie, and Watercolor

Last up in this game of catch up, my trip to MoMA in NYC.  My first trip to the museum!  I must admit my favorite floors were the 4th and 5th where many paintings and sculptures reside that until the trip I had only seen online and in books.  THRILLED beyond words to see Van Gogh's "Starry Night" which coincidentally enough was the theme for my 3rd grade Christmas project!


The placement of Andrew Wyeth's famous painting caught me (and others around me) a little off guard.  Where might you ask is this gorgeous piece??  Hanging in the hallway right outside the ladies restroom and at the top of the escalator!
Another favorite piece is Picasso's "The Three Musicians".  I have used this piece as inspiration for a mixed media art piece with my 3rd graders multiple times.  I am looking forward to sharing this year that I actually got to see it.

Well, that's it for now.  I hope to be better about posting in the coming months.  Have a Very, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year ❤

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to a New Year of Art fun!!  After a COVID year of teaching from a cart, I am SUPER excited to be returning to my classroom space!  L...